We celebrated Mother's Day for Supermans' family yesterday afternoon. I was in charge of dessert- my favorite!, so I got up early to make cake balls for my in-laws. Superman had already gotten up WAY early to go turkey hunting with my SIL's bf.. ANYWAY, cake balls take some time, but are definitely worth the work. I had already baked the cakes Friday night and got up to roll and dip the balls before I headed out to the in-laws. I rolled about 6-7 dozen balls and jumped in the shower when I realized that I needed to run to a Quest center to have day 3 bloodwork drawn. Oh shoot! This was totally going to put a cramp in my schedule for the morning!
I quickly dressed and through on some make up and drove to the closest Quest office- watching the clock the whole time. There wasn't single person in the waiting room when I got there- SCORE! I checked in and was in a room within 5 minutes. Awesome, right on schedule! I gave the nurse my name and waited for her to poke me while she looked my file up on the computer... frowning, she asked me my name, drs name, dob.. oh, they didn't have the request that Dr. A's office was supposed to fax on Thursday. The woman asked if Dr. A's office was open on Saturdays and I said yes, I think they do some procedures on Saturdays.. so she left the room to go call the office, only to return and say that they were closed. (Here comes the part that I'm not so proud of....) I BURST into tears and told the nurse that it's a timed test and I was going to have to wait another MONTH to take it if blood wasn't drawn today. She apologized and said there was nothing to do and that she felt terrible.. I threw on some sunglasses and left.. tears streaming down my face. On my way home, I called my drs office thinking that there HAD to be an off hours exchange and within 5 minutes was connected to my nurse "A". She said that this happens ALL the time with Quest and told me to ask them if they could take a verbal order... UMM, I was in my car, not at the office.. ARGH!!!
So I drove back to the place where I had just made a huge embarrassing scene. Luckily, A knew all of the correct codes for all of the tests I had to have done- at least 7-8 of them, and my blood was drawn. I apologized to everyone for being the high-maintenance customer for the day and left with a band-aid on my arm.
By this time, I needed to be heading to the in-laws, but my cake balls weren't finished. I packed up the dog, the balls and the chocolate bark for the balls, thinking I could finish them at their house. About 2/3's of the way to their house Superman called to say that the festivities wouldn't take place at my MIL's, they had been moved to his grandparents' house, who HATE dogs. I explained to him my frustrating morning, how the balls weren't done, and that the dog was sitting in the seat next to me. Okay, "explained" probably isn't all that correct. I think it was maybe more along the lines of 'Bitched'... a teenie, tiny fight ensued.. maybe a tear or two more was shed... In the end, Superman waited for me at his parents house, helped me with the balls, and a crate was found so the dog wouldn't destroy my in-laws house while we were gone.
I'm not sure I was hormonal or if the tears and frustration were because it was Mothers Day, a not so fun holiday for us infertiles.. Either way, it was a rough day and I'm glad it's over! I'm definitely looking forward to Mother's Day next year and hoping that I'll be the one receiving gifts and love and praise.. not crying and fighting with Superman.
No comments:
Post a Comment